First Stash-Busting Projects of 2010
I knocked off a couple of quick stash-busting projects this past week, both of which make me happy. The first is the basketweave pillow from Anna Maria Horner’s book, Seams to Me.
The book provides instructions for making your own pillow form and the cover is designed to fit over that. I had an ugly old pillow that I wanted to recover, so did a little math to change the dimensions of the patches so my cover would fit my pillow form. This was easy. If you do this, remember to use 1/2″ seam allowances. I used 1/4″ instead, since that’s what I typically use for patchwork; however, piecing gathered squares is a little more tricky than piecing flat squares and the wider seam allowances are nicer to work with.
I didn’t like the plain edges of the original pillow and wanted to add something extra there. I found a crazy fuzzy chenille-y trim at my local fabric store and added it to the edges. The stiff trim coupled with the gathered edges created some tricky sewing, but by using (and bending) a lot of pins and perservering, I ended up with a very nice pillow (if I don’t say so myself).
I also made some refrigerator magnets with the help of my kids. Together, we knocked of 50 of these in the evening. We now have plenty to keep all our artwork properly displayed on the refrigerator and some can be packaged up for nice gifts to friends and family.
Instructions can be found here.